Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Father's Day weekend in Gulf Shores includes Concerts + Hot Air Balloon Festival


There so many exciting events happening on our coast this upcoming Father's Day weekend. It's impossible to go to everything but thrilling to have so much variety.

One of my favorite activities is the Gulf Coast Hot Air Balloon Festival in Foley (June 19-21) not only because of the amazing balloons but the music as well. I usually plan to arrive around 4 p.m. to shop for arts and crafts. My favorite is the pottery but last year I also bought an awesome cowboy hat. This year I'm hoping the craftman who displayed custom-designed porch swings will return because I really want to add that to my patio. I love the festival food so I begin with the Cajun food and roasted corn. Before the weekend is over I'll also enjoy the best corn dog ever and wonderful homemade ice cream.

Both Friday and Saturday evenings half of the hot air balloons will fire up for the glow and tether rides. If you've never seen this beautiful sight you are truly missing a real treat. The other half of the balloons begin to arrive on the horizon and gently float to a landing at the festival. And then the bands begin their musical entertainment (Tip Tops on Friday night and Cheyenne on Saturday night) and I'm happy.

As a kick-off to the Gulf Coast Hot Air Balloon Festival on Thursday evening (June 18,beginning at 6 p.m.) there will be a hot air balloon glowing at Tanger Outlet along with games and prizes. The entire 3-day weekend shoppers at Tanger Outlet will enjoy special Sidewalk Sales for extra savings to celebrate the Hot Air Balloon Festival. I love to shop so I'll find a way to take advantage of these bargains.

Also on Thursday evening at 7 p.m. a local band that I enjoy very much named "Cool Change" will perform a FREE concert at the Erie Meyer Civic Center courtesy of the City of Gulf Shores.

On Friday at The Amphitheater at The Wharf in Orange Beach music will fill the air when three bands take the stage - "REO Speedwagon", "Styx" and "38 Special." Then on Saturday at the same venue "Steely Dan" will perform to the delight of fans.

More details can be found at Discover Alabama Beaches.

Enjoy special Father's Day savings at Meyer Real Estate when you choose Gulf Shores, Orange Beach, Fort Morgan (Alabama) or Perdido Key (Florida) for your coastal retreat. I hope you can join us for an entertaining vacation.

No comments: