Friday, June 08, 2012

Get Glowing at the Gulf Coast Hot Air Balloons Fest Father's Day Weekend (June 15-17)

Rise early for a breathtaking sight as 50 hot air balloons silently glide through the air above the City of Foley with an occasional whoosh sound as the burners fire during the 8th annual Gulf Coast Hot Air Balloon Festival on Father's Day weekend (June 15-17). Later in the day enjoy the sights and sounds of one of the most unique festivals on our coast. You can almost feel the glow while watching this Gulf Coast Hot Air Balloon Festival video.

This is absolutely one of my favorite festivals because it is so relaxed and family-friendly. Since I'm a native of the area I love seeing the antique tractors and all of the arts and crafts. In fact a couple of years ago I bought a beautiful headboard made of reclaimed wood and ceiling tin from one of the event vendors.

My yearly agenda always includes a visit to the homemade ice cream booth, which is easy to find because you hear the sound of the John Deere motor churning this sweet treat.
In the evening I'm looking forward to finding a seat in front of the stage for the musical entertainment and this year one of my favorite bands, Dr. Zarr's Amazing Funk Monster will play at 8:30 on Friday evening. First I make my rounds to see the hot air balloons glow. I like the challenge of trying to photograph this beautiful sight by catching the fire glowing at just the right time.

As soon as I arrive I pick up the event schedule so I won't miss a performance of the incredible Disc Connected K-9 Frisbee Dog Show. These rescued dogs are not only amazing but they seem to be having so much fun too.

The event takes about 350 community volunteers to handle all the various duties and I already have my assignment for the weekend. My volunteer efforts will be rewarded with a souvenir t-shirt. But you don't have to volunteer to get a t-shirt since these and other souvenirs can be purchased to commemorate your trip to the festival.

Admission to the Gulf Coast Hot Air Balloon Festival is free with parking (all day) only $5 or a convenient shuttle ride from downtown Foley for $2 per person each way. The times for the event this year are:

Friday (June 15) from 2 - 10 p.m.
Saturday (June 16) from 6 a.m. - 10 p.m.
Sunday (June 17) from 6:30 a.m. - 10:30 p.m.

Select your perfect beach retreat while attending the Gulf Coast Hot Air Balloon Festival and you will return home with a happy glow.

1 comment:

Aiden Brown said...

Hot Air Balloon Rides are a breathtaking way to see the town!  I love the birds view through hot air ballooning. I enjoyed the blog. Thanks!


Hot Air Balloon Trip