Sunday, February 19, 2006

Winter and Spring Break Golf




Since I've always lived on the Alabama Gulf Coast, I've never experienced that cabin fever and frustration of not being able to play golf in the winter. This winter has been especially warm and beautiful and on January 31st our Winter Guest Golf Tournament began with 100 participants teeing off at noon. The Cotton Creek at Craft Farms course was in fabulous shape and the sun enhanced the experience as the three other players and I proceeded to play good but not great golf. We ended up even with a 72 at the end of the tournament which did not earn us one of the top three slots but I can tell you all four of us went away happy.

As we approach spring season I always think about the guys who play what I call "spring break golf." Each year when I attend the Golf Show in Chicago in February I get amused at the excitement of show attendees who describe their upcoming golf trips. It seems like a great escape from the winter weather, the day-to-day routine and maybe even the stress of being the responsible adult in the family. Now don't get me wrong I don't think for one moment that a break is a bad thing, in fact I'm of the opinion it is a most healthy way to relieve stress.

Our Golf Coordinator at Meyer Real Estate is much more familiar with the motivations expressed by our customers in all seasons who reserve golf packages. Sometimes the golf packages are designed for a couple who need a weekend getaway, or the foursome who travels some distance to play golf one or sometimes two times a day. Often the golf group, especially in spring, is 16 guys or more who play "serious golf."

I need to clear my schedule more often to play golf myself at one of our many championship courses. Some people are so impressed with our gulf coast area they call it the golf coast. And here I am in the heart of this golfing community and I don't get out of the office to play nearly enough.

No comments: