Friday, February 03, 2012

What's Biting on Alabama's coast?

When I was a young girl going fishing with my father was a special treat. The family claims I ate the raw shrimp we were fishing with and if that is true I guess I had raw seafood long before I knew anything about sushi.

I haven't fished in years, so I must rely on the experts to report what's hot in that world. According to the Reel Report by Jeff Dute published by AL.com this morning, catching whiting along the beach is a sure thing. He also states that sheepshead can be caught off the rock jetties at Perdido Pass. I love to watch the boats come and go through the pass, especially while relaxing with a refreshing beverage at Cobalt Restaurant overlooking the waterway.

In the article Mr. Dute quotes Chris Vescey at Sam's in Orange Beach advising that surf fishermen are catching limits of pompano, lots of black drum and some Spanish mackerel. There are some flounder coming out of Terry Cove and Bay St. John and limited amounts of speckled trout in Little Lagoon.

So for someone who no longer fishes, at least I haven't in awhile, I was a little excited to see that we do have some decent numbers of fish biting in our waters. I think I know what I want for dinner now.

No comments: