Wednesday, March 10, 2010

The Best Banana Pudding on Gulf Shores Island

In my humble opinion the best banana pudding on the Alabama Gulf Coast is served at Wintzell's Oyster House , which is famous not for their banana pudding but for their seafood, more specifically for their "oysters - fried, stewed or nude." Wintzell's Oyster House was established in Mobile (AL) in 1938 by Oliver Wintzell and only recently opened their Orange Beach location, which is restaurant number eleven for them. They are conveniently located in the former Ruby Tuesdays building in Orange Beach on the northside of the beach road (Hwy 182) across the street from the gulf beaches.

I believe I'm qualified to judge this dish because growing up each Sunday my mother made the family a banana pudding. I'm assuming it was my father's favorite dessert. I loved it on the first day but by the second day the bananas were dark and mushy, which I did not like. Well, problem solved by Wintzell's because their dessert is served almost like a banana split. A big bowl arrives at your table with the delicious pudding in the center along with vanilla wafers arranged in the pudding and a firm, delicious banana cut in half and placed on each side of the pudding. Yum, yum.

Winzell's also passes my test for all seafood restaurants - great gumbo and fantastic oysters. They also have many seafood delights served fried, grilled, broiled and blackened.

On your next trip to the coast I strongly suggest a visit to Wintzell's Oyster House for oysters and banana pudding or whatever makes you smile.

No comments: